Tuesday, January 22, 2008

When it comes to hanging something (artwork, shelves, mirrors) there are several ways to find studs behind a wall. There are a bunch of different electronic stud finders out there and I’ve never really had huge luck with any of them, especially if the wall surface isn’t completely flat. I recently discovered a magnetic stud finder – really, just a strong magnet in a shell. It picks up the drywall screws/nails behind the wall and so far, it’s been one of my favorite new gadgets.

Not really new, but also one of my most used tool belt items is a 4 in one screwdriver. It has both a reversible small and large Phillips/flathead bit. It cuts down on what I have to carry and makes it super convenient when doing something like changing a light switch or plug outlet which usually has flat head screws for the face plate and Phillips head for the switch or plug. They’re not expensive and a great addition to your toolbox or kitchen drawer.

An LED flashlight – I actually carry two in my tool belt – a normal flashlight and a head mounted one. Why I like LED – They produce a clean, bright light, last super long and use substantially less energy than a normal bulb – meaning you save money on batteries and new bulbs. Ha, you may look a little silly, but the head lamp comes in super handy when I’m in an attic, under a house or just need both hands to work on something.

Speaking of LEDs, I’m a huge fan of them as lighting in general. The nice thing about them is that they really don’t produce any heat, making them ideal for tight spaces where the surroundings could burn. We recently built a hideaway bed with shelving units on either side. I installed dimmable halogen lights in the shelving unit, but used the very slim, LED puck lights inside the hideaway bed closure. Not only was the size ideal, but there was no fear of leaving them on and having them come in contact with the comforter, causing a possible fire. Several manufacturers also make multicolored LED’s and color changing as well. These can add a totally cool effect to a bar, play room, inside cabinets, etc. and are one of my favorite things to add flavor to a project.

Another great little tool that I carry in my tool belt is a sliding square. Basically a metal ruler with an adjustable, sliding, 90 Degree edge on it. The one that I keep in my belt has a 6-inch ruler, but they make them in various sizes and come in super handy when you need to replicate a measurement along a flat edge or draw a straight line. You can also use a normal square (the triangle) but having the ability to change the ruler setting is great.

If you have any questions, email Marcus

0 comments:

Post a Comment